So I just did a blog for AOL’s Noisecreep.com called Your Ipod Is Showing and I thought it would be cool to post it here. It was actually pretty fun and you should try it! You just take your ipod (or itunes) and put it on shuffle mode, and list the first 20 songs that come up, and write 2-3 sentences on why that band is on your ipod. NO CHEATING AND SKIPPING SONGS YOU’RE EMBARRASSED OF! That’s the best part ;)
1. “Host Disorder”- Every Time I Die from “New Junk Aesthetic”: I’ve always liked ETID ever since I was 16. I love their raw and fun sound. The new album this song is from is one of their best!
2. “Enterrement Of An Idol”- Aborted from “Strychnine.213”: Aborted is one of my favorite death metal bands. It’s all about the heavy, catchy grooves. Definitely a big influence on early Whitechapel.
3. “The Weatherman”- Lower Definition from “The Greatest of All Lost Arts”: Judge me, I love this band. Very “unmetal” of me, but they sound very similar to Glassjaw, and Glassjaw is one of my favorite bands, so naturally, this band rules.
4. “Let Down”- Radiohead from “OK Computer”: You can’t always listen to metal, especially being in a metal band. Infact I probably listen to more stuff that is not metal than metal, and Radiohead is a good example. Great to chill out in the van to after a long day.
5. “Zak and Sara”- Ben Folds from “Rockin The Suburbs”: Ben Folds is fun and light hearted, great to listen to in the summer.
6. “Last Night in Town”- Lucero from “Nobody’s Darlings”: Lucero is great alt country from Tennessee, so being from Tennessee myself I can connect to a lot of the songs and it’s great music to mellow out to, especially while fishing!
7. “District Divided”- Darkest Hour from “Undoing Ruin”: Not only does Darkest Hour put out killer, memorable records, but they are amazing guys as well. They gave us our first legitimate tour ever by letting us open their headliner so they will always have a special place on my iPod.
8. “Frozen Feastings”- Those Who Lie Beneath from “An Awakening”: Those Who Lie Beneath is a new up and coming metal band. They play some pretty heavy and technical stuff, definitely worth checking out. I like to stay as up to date as possible on the metal scene and constantly check out new bands.
9. “Purgatory”- Brutality Will Prevail from “Forgotten Soul”: This band is heavy as shit. Period. Low tuned, sludgey, angry hardcore from the UK.
10. “Roller Coaster”- Blink 182 from “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket”: Blink 182 is what got me started playing music. I got my first bass and learned as many Blink songs as I could. They definitely hold a special place in my heart. Even though I don’t listen to them as much as I used to, I can still sing every word to every song on every record.
11. “Stengah”- Meshuggah from “Nothing”: The heaviest band on the planet. Bar none. One of my favorite metal bands for sure. Their sound is just so dark and crushing, I love it.
12. “Change”- Karnivool from “Sound Awake”: Very awesome space rock-ish band from Australia. Reminds me alot of Tool. Very atmospheric.
13. “Arrival Notes”- Set Your Goals from “This Will Be the Death of Us”: Poppy, fun, and energetic, I love listening to Set Your Goals to put me in a good mood. I grew up listening to alot of skate punk and this band reminds me of all the bands I used to listen to when I was young like NOFX, MXPX, Pennywise, etc.
14. “Bridle”- Sage Francis from “A Healthy Distrust”: Sage Francis is very powerful hip hop/spoken word. I don’t listen to a TON of hip hop but when I do I like for it to have meaning and feeling behind it and not just talk about bitches and hoes and what have you. Sage is a realist and spits rhymes about real life topics.
15. “When I Speak”- Impending Doom from “The Serpent Servant”: Impending Doom have been good friends of ours for a long time and I love them as people and a band. Definitely the heaviest christian band I’ve ever heard, they deliver God’s word with force.
16. “My Plague”- Slipknot from “Iowa”: I was really stoked when this one came up. Slipknot is another one of my favorite metal bands and this happens to be one of my favorite songs by them. The intro is soooo heavy.
17. “Dead Set”- Sevendust from “Animosity”: Sevendust is amazing, they are the masters at crafting the catchiest choruses you will ever hear, while also having heavy, pounding verses.
18. “Sleeping Sickness”- City and Colour from “Bring Me Your Love”: Many City and Colour songs are easy to relate too as most of them are about the struggles of life on the road and being away from family and loved ones as Dallas Green so often is in his other band Alexisonfire. He has a very soothing voice and an emotional delivery of his music which is why I like listening to it.
19. “This Wake I Myself Haved Stirred”- Shai Hulud from “Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion”: Shai Hulud is definitely my favorite hardcore band. They deliver their music with such raw power and emotion. Fun fact, I discovered this band when I was 15 and I was searching for NOFX songs on LimeWire and found their cover of “Linoleum”, and have loved them ever since.
20. “Welcome to the Family”- A Day to Remember from “Homesick”: Another fun band to listen to like Set Your Goals, A Day to Remember write some of the most ridiculously catchy music I have ever heard. You can’t help but sing along to every song.
Now it’s your turn!